Welcome to the DROID X7 expander. The X7 gives you USB and MIDI connectivity for your master and also four gate outputs with modular levels.
You can process incoming and generate outgoing MIDI streams, both via classical DIN cables and via USB. Both the in and the out direction support polyphony with eight or even more voices in parallel.
For size reasons the X7 uses 3.5 mm TRS jacks for MIDI instead of the classical DIN jacks. But it comes with two DIN to TRS adapters, so you are free to use either form factor.
As a bonus feature, the X7 provides super fast loading of DROID patches via USB - without any need for putting the SD card in and out anymore.
Here are some examples of what you can do with the X7:
- Attach an external keyboard to your modular.
- Use an external hardware sequencer for playing melodies and beats in your modular.
- Use an external MIDI controller to influence your DROID patch.
- Do the same with a MIDI controller app on your tablet or phone (via USB).
- Use your modular for playing polyphonic music and beats on your hardware synths or software synth plugins in your DAW, tablet or phone.
- Connect two DROIDs (both with X7) and exchange real time CVs and triggers.
- Use the four additional gate outputs on the X7 for sending clocks, gates and triggers and free your valuable CV outputs for other things.
- Access the SD card in your master just like a USB stick for direct access to it via your PC, Mac, phone or tablet.
- Alternatively load new patches to your master via MIDI sysex from your PC - and get your new patch ideas up and running in less than a second.
Public beta phase
The X7 starts in a public beta phase with a limited number of 10 X7 units. You can take part by simply purchasing one of these 10 units. The conditions of the beta phase are as follows:
- The purpose of the beta phase is to find bugs and glitches that we didn't recognize in our own tests. So if you take part you will get the X7 before most others but we ask you to help us by sending bug reports on our Discord server.
- During the base phase you need a current beta firmware for your master and the X7. Both are available in our Discord server.
- You X7 hardware is in its final state. There will just be software updates. So at the end of the beta phase you have a plain normal X7 just like those that purchase it later.
- You get full warranty and support, of course.